Aunt Dottie’s Country Style Steak


This is the recipe I cooked every day at the Starlight Grill when I was the cook. I learned this recipe from one of my favorite cooks, my Aunt Dottie, and every time I make it I reminisce about her. I hope you all will enjoy this recipe as much as I do.

3 lbs. Chopped Steak
2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
Oil for frying
1 to 1 ½ cup cold water
1 beef bouillon cube
1 small dash of Kitchen Bouquet

In an iron skillet heat about ¼ inch oil over medium heat. In a shallow dish add flour and seasonings and mix well. In a shallow bowl add about 1 cup water. Dip the steaks in the water and then dredge in the flour mixture. Place the steaks in the oil and brown both sides cooking until the juices run clear. Drain on paper towels. Do not over crowd the pan as you are cooking the steaks. When all the steaks are cooked pour off most of the oil but save the small cooked bits in the pan, add about 2 tablespoons flour mixture to the pan and brown slowly over medium low heat, stirring frequently. Add the water, kitchen Bouquet and the bouillon cube and cook over low heat until thickened. Add the steaks to the gravy and season with salt and pepper to taste, serve with mashed potatoes and vegetables of your choice.

Serves 4 to 6

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Redneck Chef Salsa

Herbs and Spices